Monday, July 18, 2011

Local Milk


A year ago, I tried local milk for the first time. I've had local ice cream, local cheese, but never local milk. Well I tried some from Trickling Spring Creamery. They sell it in the market in a glass bottle that can be refilled, at $2 off with the returned bottle. Well, it was an awful experience. It tasted terrible and looked strange. I couldn't even bring myself to finish the bottle, so I tossed it. For a year now, I couldn't even think about buying that milk again.

You've got it wrong if you think I'm about to slander this creamery. I love the creamery! I eat their cheese often. Well today, I decided to give it another shot. Maybe last time the milk I bought was bad, maybe I got the wrong kind of milk- whatever it was, the milk was different then. Today, however, it was AMAZING! So much better than the milk I've been buying. "The way milk 'ought-to' taste," as it says on the bottle. I only wish I gave it another try sooner!

Aside from taste, why is this milk better? It's local. Local milk supports local farmers and your local economy. Local milk doesn't have to travel hundreds of miles to get to your table. This milk is all natural, from grass-fed cows, it's chemical free, antibiotic free, synthetic-hormone free, and has no rBSTs. It's also Pennsylvania Certified Organic!

If you have the opportunity to buy local milk, whether from a farmers' market or a local grocery, I strongly suggest it!

No comments:

Post a Comment