Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Day 5 Buy Local Challenge

Today began as the least interesting local eating day of them all. I kicked it off with the 2nd Saw Mill Bread Co. bagel I bought from MOM's, topped with non-local cream cheese and with a glass of Trickling Springs local milk.

For lunch, I scrounged together a sandwich from some non-local cheese (muenster and swiss), non-local mayonnaise, local tomato, and vegetarian "pepperoni" slices; all on two slices of my honey whole wheat loaf, also from Saw Mill Bread Co. It was a huge sandwich, but mock pepperoni does not make for good sandwich filler. I also ate one of the juicy and really delicious peaches from the Burton Farm produce stand. Last week the peaches were good; this week the peaches were amazing!!

After work, I was going to stop by the Timonium Fair Grounds Farmers Market- but realized I have enough local food to finish the week, and not the money to afford excess produce. So to avoid the temptation, I didn't even drive by for a photo of it. When I got home, I finished off the Salazon chocolate bar (didn't last me nearly as long as I had hoped), at a few of the blackberries I bought from Three Springs Farm at yesterday's farmers market, and had another glass of Trickling Springs Creamery milk- the 1/2 gallon is almost gone. So alone, I would probably drink 2+ bottles a week. That's $7.98 a week on milk for just myself. In my opinion, it's worth it. As long as I can afford to buy this milk over a California organic milk, I will do so.

For tonight's dinner, my fiance and I met up with my cousin and her boyfriend for a double date at One World Cafe. It's a vegetarian restaurant in Charles Village in Baltimore. I've been there 3 times before, and loved it each time. If it were closer, I'd be there more often. We ordered so much food!! I got a ceasar salad to share with Shane, my fiance, but he was too busy eating a miso soup to make a dent on it. Then I got nachos, which are supposed to be a group shared appetizer sort of thing, but I ordered them just for myself. And on top of that, I ordered a cup of vegetarian chili and a bowl of guacamole! The waiter even warned me of how much food that was, but I insisted. I doggie-bagged a lot; I now have all of tomorrow's meals set to go!
I am stuffed but somehow still could have eaten dessert!!! What is wrong with me! This local food has me wanting more!!

On a side note, my work just started carrying a collection of home and kitchen accessories with phrases like "Eat Local", "Go Organic", "Homegrown", and "Farm Fresh" on them. How apropos!? If I wasn't trying to simplify my life and stop unnecessary purchasing, I would definitely have bought some stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment