Monday, July 25, 2011

Day 3 Buy Local Challenge

Let me recap today's local meals:

For breakfast I had an everything bagel from Saw Mill Bread Co. with non-local (but USDA Organic) cream cheese. I also ate a banana- also non-local, but fair trade- and had a glass of Trickling Spring Creamery milk.

For lunch, I made a PBJ sandwich. I sliced my own bread (!!! Saw Mill Bread Co.) and spread an organic brand of crunchy peanut butter on one slice, and some local cider jelly and a homemade strawberry/basil jam (savory and delicious; courtesy of a housemate!).



I prepared a simple parfait as well, 1 c local yogurt with 1 fresh, local peach and some granola on the side to sprinkle on for lunch time. [Yes, I used a disposable spoon, I forgot mine. But don't worry, I have a system- for every piece of disposable flatware or napkins I have to use at work, I put a dollar into the "green fund" at my house.]



For my after work snack, I ate some cheddar cheese from Bowling Green Farm (PA local, if you'll recall) and some honey mustard (East Coast Local).

And for dinner I made the La Pasta local ravioli, oooh so yummy (organic, local, and RAW!) with fresh cut local tomatoes and fresh basil straight out of my garden! I was going to toast some of the whole wheat bread, but my fiance was sharing and I thought he might prefer some Pepperidge Farm Texas Toast garlic bread.

After work I was hoping to go to Weber's Cider Mill Farm, but my poor fiance who hasn't seen much of me lately, asked to go to the movies. I definitely have more than enough local food than I need for a week already, so it wasn't worth ditching him. Unfortunately, however, I wont be able to make it there until after the beach! I haven't been yet this Summer season. As the name suggests, they have great cider, cider donuts, and cider slushies!! Their cider will be best later in the season. But they also have pastries, produce, ice cream, condiments, honey, just about everything. If you go on a Saturday in fall, though, you'll find the Volunteer Fire Department there serving up food on the grill. I, as a vegetarian, eat their fresh cut french fries, yum!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment